The Agriculture Secondary School was established in 1919. Formerly it was a 3-year-long Secondary Agricultural School. However, in 1920 it was changed into a 4-year-long agricultural college serving the whole district. At the beginning the school did not have its own building therefore some rooms were rented in the spa building. The new building was built at the corner of Prokůpkova and Boučkova street in 1927 and it was equipped and furnished during the other few years.
In 1924 a weather station was established in conjuncion with the school. A 2-year-long agricultural study program was introduced in 1926. At the same time a school poultry farm was founded and 23 hectares of fields were bought following by 19 more hectares. The school also rented some land, which was used for growing vegetables.
In the thirties the school consisted of a 4-year-long Agricultural College, a 2-year-long Special Agricultural School, a 2-year-long Household-economical School for girls, an agricultural advisory office, a school farm with an area of 69 ha, an agricultural research institute for poultry and small farm animals, a weather station and gardens. Enrolment rose up to 212 students in 1937. The school also provided many public courses, lectures and exhibitions.
During World War II the school went through many changes. In 1945 classes were cancelled but they were resumed immediately after the war. The enrolment was the highest during the sixties when there were about 500 students. Extensional classes were introduced in the seventies. The school also provided further eduction and many special courses for agronomists. In the late 1980s a new hostel was built next to school.
The school today
Great changes occurred in the nineties. The school added new compulsory and more optional subjects for its students. The nineties was an era of big investments into the school facilities (heating, roof, garages, assembly hall, gym, fitness centre, new kitchen, cafeteria and library), farming equipment and computers.
The Family Secondary School, which followed the tradition of the Household-Economical School for girls, was established in 1991. In 1997 the Family Secondary School was changed to the Secondary School of Public Administration.
At the present time the school provides education in 2 majors fields – Agrobusiness and Public Administration and Biological Lyceum.
Alumni can work as farmers, businessman and leaders in the agricultural sector, workers in the agricultural services and processing industry, employees in private agricultural or non-agricultural business and data processors. They can also continue their education at university.
This branch of studies offers 4 specialisations. Students choose optional subjects after the first year.
1. Agricultural operation and economics
Students gain agricultural and computer skills, basis accounting knowledge, driving license for tractors, cars, lorries and motocycles.
This specialisation offers extensive knowledge in computer science, internet and computer technology. The school is well-equipped with personal computers. Access to the internet is unlimited. Students learn the basic agricultural subjects and gain a good orientation in IT.
Students learn subject that concern accommodation and boaring services in the country and basic agricultural activities. Language education is also stressed.
The farm is a very important part of the school. Students gain experience during their practical training here. Currently the school farm owns fields with an area of about 290 hectares. Fodder grains, corn, rape flower and lucerne are cultivated there. The school garden is utilized to grow vegetables and flowers.
Animal production includes dairyfarming (Holstein cows) and pig breeding. On the school farm there are also a few horses and people can learn how to ride them. As a part of the practical training students take care of rabbits, hens, pigeons, goats and sheep.
Dutch „Gouda“ cheese is produced at school as well.
Students are provided with basic information in the field of administrative work in various offices and are required to get knowledge of the legal structure of society and public life. They study two foreign languages. During their practical training they work in offices and learn to use modern office equipment.
Alumni have knowledge of economics and law associated with Public management and they can efficiently use a personal computer. As a result they can work in the area of government administration with state, regional or local authorities, in private business and in economics. They can also continue their education at university.
This branch of study is the very new in our school. The first students of lyceum are going to start their studies in the school year 2005 - 2006. This branch of studies is aimed to be the preparation for university studies. The aim of the lyceum is to provide students with information and knowledge in subjects like agriculture, technological processes,protection of the environment, food technologies, biology, chemistry, and many others. It is 4 - year- long study finished by leaving examination.
Other services and possibilities for students:
- Foreign excursions to the Netherlands (Doetinchen), France (Vesoul) and Poland (Sedjeovice). During these exchange visits students stay with foreign speaking families. They practise languages, learn something about culture, lifestyle and agriculture in other countries. After leaving exams it is possible for students to work in the Netherlands or Switzerland.
- 4 days of excursions during the school year.
- Various courses for students: foreign languages, preparation for entrance exams to universities, programming, floral arranging prepararion for hunting exams
- Driving license for tractors free of charge, motocycle, car and lorry driving licence available for an additional charge
- Horse riding club on the school farm
- Gym and fitness centre in the school building
- Recreation at the school cottage in Benecko in the Giant Mountains
- Accommodation in the hostel, which includes rooms with 3 beds and bathroom facilities
- Cafeteria and snack shop where students can get refreshment
- Courses: basic PC skills, MS WINDOWS MS Word and Excel, how to use the internet
and computer typing
single entry bookkeeping
preparation for hunting exams
arrangement of dry flowers
- Conference facilities for lectures, workshops, training
- One day special agricultural workshops
- Garden shop which sells plants, flowers, seeds and other products from the school garden, and offers agricultural advice
- Accommodation during weekends and holidays
- Dining services